Right now Britain has a shortage of affordable and good quality housing to buy or rent. At the same time many home-owners are in danger of losing their properties in the recession and homelessness is still affecting thousands of people.
The Green Party will fight for a fair housing deal for all. We want to make it easier for people to get on the property ladder, to protect home-owners and to eradicate homelessness for good. Our comprehensive proposal includes:
- Building a new generation of quality council homes
- Supporting the development of housing co-ops
- Bringing back into use Britain’s 300,000 long-term empty private sector homes
- Renovating Britain’s 37,000 empty council homes to help cut waiting lists
- Giving social housing tenants greater control over the management of their homes and neighbourhoods
- Improving the quality of housing stock to help reduce household bills
- Helping people at risk of repossession keep their homes via a Right to Rent scheme.